In the late 1940’s, a handful of parents began to search for help and answers for their disabled children. Finally in 1950, the first clinic offering specialized medical, surgical and physical therapy for disabled children began. Soon there were 60 families receiving services from the clinic. The Center was born with incorporation as United Cerebral Palsy of Glens Falls and was the beginning of an organized approach to treat children with cerebral palsy and other disabilities.
In an attempt to gain more help for their children, parents continued to organize and seek support and services. In response to the need for more educational programs, on-going funding and an “organized approach”, Marilyn Cohen was hired as the Center’s Executive Director. Fundraising and program development now began in earnest. The Center opened a classroom at Friends Meeting House and an office on Bay Street.
Continuing to be responsive to community needs and responding to increasing national awareness, the 70s saw the initiation of social, recreational and more extensive educational services. By the mid 70s, the Agency employed 20 staff and served over 100 children. A building fund was implemented with the culmination of a new building with three classrooms on Aviation Road.
By the beginning of the decade, the Center had grown to 50 employees with the need, once again, to rent additional classroom space. Supporting the need for services as early as possible, the Center received a grant to provide early intervention services to infants and families, as well as to provide outreach services to identify and serve children and families in rural areas. Prospect School, on the south side of Aviation Road, was opened in response to increased referrals from the tri-county area. By the end of the decade, family support services and respite services to families were initiated through state and federal grants.
The 90s were a time of tremendous growth. The Agency began the decade with 90 employees serving 400 individuals and culminated the decade with nearly 200 employees serving over 800 individuals. Continuing to respond to community needs, the Center experienced growth in outreach programs, early intervention, service coordination, respite and integrated programs.
The turn of the century celebrated 50 years of service for Prospect Center. Due to severe space shortages caused by the tremendous growth in services in the 90’s, the Center expanded their facilities yet again. In 2002, with the support of the community, the Marilyn R. Cohen Therapy Center, a 13,785 sq. foot 2-story addition, was attached to the existing Prospect School and provided office space, meeting rooms, the “Great Room” (a 2600 sq. ft. conference room), and our new aquatic therapy center. A 2,740 sq. foot addition was attached to the existing Main Center building, and provided more office space, conference and treatment rooms. To further meet the needs of our clients, Prospect also ventured into the development of individualized residential alternatives (I.R.A.) or group homes. In February 2003, eight young adults moved into a duplex on Dixon Road.
In recent years, major changes in eligibility and funding for individuals with disabilities have reduced resources and impacted Prospect’s abilities to meet the needs of consumers. In January 2013, Prospect Center became a division of the Center for Disability Services in Albany, NY. This has allowed us to combine and build on each other’s strengths, provide a wider range of services, and take full advantage of new opportunities to evolve and serve students, patients, residents, program participants and families, as well as the communities at large.
|Today, Prospect Center is continually striving to meet the ever-changing needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families within our community.|
133 Aviation Road, Queensbury, NY 12804 • (518) 798-0170
Fax: (518) 798-0533 • Contact for General Information